|HB 1365 - Campbell - Discharge from state hospitals or training centers; local departments of social services.||(H) Committee on Health, Welfare and Institutions||(H) Assigned HWI sub: Subcommittee #3||01/16/15|
|HB 1614 - Campbell - Southwestern Va. Training Center & Southeastern Va. Training Center; closure prohibited.||(H) Committee on Health, Welfare and Institutions||(H) Assigned HWI sub: Subcommittee #3||01/16/15|
|HB 1710 - Yost - Behavioral Health and Developmental Services Trust Fund; use of funds.||(H) Committee on Health, Welfare and Institutions||(H) Referred to Committee on Health, Welfare and Institutions||01/12/15|
|HB 2377 - Cline - Justice for Victims of Sterilization Act.||(H) Committee on Appropriations||(H) Referred to Committee on Appropriations||01/23/15|
|SB 1052 - Hanger - Developmental disabilities; definition.||(S) Committee on Education and Health||(S) Referred to Committee on Education and Health||01/12/15|
|SB 1111 - Barker - People with Disabilities, Virginia Board for; membership, powers and duties.||(S) Committee on Rehabilitation and Social Services||(S) Rereferred to Rehabilitation and Social Services||01/22/15|
|SB 1300 - Newman - Northern Virginia Training Center; prohibition of closure.||(S) Committee on Rehabilitation and Social Services||(S) Referred to Committee on Rehabilitation and Social Services||01/14/15|
Dear NVTC Families and Friends,
If you haven’t already sent e-mails to Senator Newman and the co-patrons of SB 1300 as well as the members of the Senate Committee on Rehabilitation and Social Services, please do so as soon as possible. Note that Senators Deeds and Edwards have signed on as co-patrons since we contacted you earlier this week. Also, Senator Norment was inadvertently left off the Rehabilitation and Social Services list, and has been added.
We are very happy to learn that Delegates Eileen Filler-Corn (D-41) and Kenneth R. Plum (D-36) have signed on as co-patrons on the House side. Please contact your Senator and Delegate, along with any other legislator(s) with whom you have a personal or working relationship, and ask them to become co-patrons.
Rehabilitation and Social Services may vote on SB 1300 as soon as . If the bill passes, it will go to the HHR subcommittee of the Senate Finance Committee, and then hopefully on to the full Committee.
Senator Stephen D. Newman (R-23), the patron of SB 627 last year and a long time supporter for keeping all of Virginia’s Training Centers open, has this year introducedSB 1300, “a bill to delay the closure of the Northern Virginia Training Center and to direct the Secretary of Health and Human Resources to identify three training centers to remain open.” The text of the bill is attached in PDF.As NVTC is the next Training Center scheduled to close, Senator Newman’s legislation includes a provision to keep it open through while considering alternatives to closing. SB 1300 was referred on January 14 to the Senate Committee on Rehabilitation and Social Services. Developments relating to this bill can be tracked at http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-
bin/legp604.exe?151+sum+SB1300 . Please thank Senator Newman and the co-patrons for their work on this important legislation:
- Senator Stephen D. Newman (R-23), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Richard H. Black (R-13), email@example.com
- Senator Robert Creigh Deeds (D-25), firstname.lastname@example.org (signed on this week)
- Senator John S. Edwards (D-21), email@example.com (signed on this week)
- Senator Barbara A. Favola (D-31), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Thomas A. Garrett (R-22), email@example.com
- Senator Janet D. Howell (D-32), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator John C. Miller (D-01), email@example.com
- Senator Linda T. Puller (D-36), firstname.lastname@example.orgIf your Senator is not now a co-patron, please ask him or her to contact Senator Newman and sign on. If you are not sure who represents you in the Senate, visit http://whosmy.
virginiageneralassembly.gov/ to identify your Senator. Here are some key points you might raise:
- Describe your loved one briefly.
- Tell your Senator about the quality of care at your Training Center.
- Explain why you believe your loved one’s health and safety will be best supported at your Center.
- Tell your Senator that the Center costs are artificially high because the population has declined while the state has taken no steps to reduce unnecessary overhead costs.
- Let your Senator know that a local Training Center option is essential so that you can visit your loved one and so that he/she can remain in his/her local support community.The members of the Senate Committee on Rehabilitation and Social Services are listed below. With the exception of those who are co-patrons and will support SB 1300, please send an e-mail to each one, urging him or her to vote in favor of the bill.
- Senator Frank W. Wagner (R-07), email@example.com (Chair)
- Senator Emmett W. Hanger, Jr. (R-24), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Linda T. Puller (co-patron)
- Senator Mamie E. Locke (D-02), email@example.com
- Senator Ryan McDougle (R-04), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator George Barker (D-39), email@example.com
- Senator Thomas K. Norment, Jr. (R-03), firstname.lastname@example.org(inadvertently omitted from previous list)
- Senator Richard H. Black (co-patron)
- Senator Bryce E. Reeves (R-17), email@example.com
- Senator Barbara A. Favola (co-patron)
- Senator Jennifer T. Wexton (D-33), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Jeffrey L. McWaters (R-08), email@example.com
- Senator Robert Creigh Deeds (co-patron)
- Senator Chap Petersen (D-34), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Ben Chafin (R-38), email@example.comYour e-mails are needed as soon as possible, as the Senate Committee on Rehabilitation and Social Services is likely to vote on SB 1300 in the next few days, or a week at the most.Thank you and best regards,
Jane Anthony and Judith Korf, Co-Presidents
Parents and Associates of the Northern Virginia Training Center